Week #2

This week I feel like I have come to realize a lot. From the readings, I have learned that there is so much that goes into what a family is and that it can be individualized. My definition of family could be different from what my roommate believes a family is made up of. I have been trying to come up with my definition of family and I have come to realize that family is not just a noun referring to people in your house. My definition brings up emotions and connections to so many people in my life that are extended relatives and people I have no blood relationship. A family is a web of people in my life that have made connections to my life. The people I consider family may be completely different from the people my siblings consider family. I feel that there is a lot of fluidity in our personal definitions. 
I enjoyed talking with my classmates about the chapter reading and their thoughts and insights on it. I enjoyed listening to their own backgrounds and upbrings and how different or similar it was to my own.   
As we talked about the laws in SPED, I also relyed a lot on what I have learned in other classes on IDEA, FERPA, HIPAA, and ADA. I talked with my roommate about them. She is not studying education and so I was able to teach her the things that I have learned. This helped me to see where my holes were in my own understanding.   

HWD:
The question I am seeking an answer to is “What distinguishes mothers who teach peace and cultivate a climate of safety in their homes from those that don’t?” 
Some sub-questions that I have thought about: 
  • How does social and emotional learning impact a child’s climate?
  • How does culture impact what is thought of as peaceful and safe?
  • How can I use these practices not only in my family life but also in my role as an educator?
  • How wide is this spectrum?
  • What are the positive effects of using best practices?
  • How can I differentiate these practices between each child? (because each child is different and responds differently, right?)
I first wanted to define two words: Peaceful & Safety. 
Peaceful:
Safety:
As I thought of these definitions, I also thought of the 2018 mutual theme for the young men and women. The words that stood out to me:
There is peace in Christ When we learn of Him Feel the love He felt for us When He bore our sins. Listen to His words. Let them come alive. If we know Him as He is, There is peace in Christ. He gives us hope When hope is gone. He gives us strength When we can’t go on. He gives us shelter In the storms of life. When there’s no peace on earth, There is peace in Christ (Day, N. (2017). Peace in Christ. Retrieved September 28, 2019, from https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/liahona/2018/01/youth/peace-in-christ?lang=eng.)”
I love this song from the Church. I think this is my goal in my own home. I want the peace and safety of Christ to be felt by all of those that enter into my home. 
Weekly Quote: 

“Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story.”

Comments